Thursday, September 10, 2015

A Piece of Maria...

Flashback to May 3, 2015

I'll be honest.  The past few years have drained me.  I have felt defeated in more ways than I can count and more days than not have been almost impossible to face.  When this happens in your life, lets face it....your relationships with your family and friends take a hit.  It's times like these that you truly discover who your true friends are and who you can count on to be your "people" in this unpredictable life.  By this, I do not mean that your friends and family are on trial.  I know that some people have that sense of entitlement....but not me.  What I am talking about is loyalty and unconditional love.  Through hard times, you are provided with this clarity whether you want it or not.  It will become so clear that you won't be able to avoid it.  People will surprise you and you'll discover that some of those in your life will hurt you to your very core.....but, there are those few who will absolutely fill your heart and little by little....bring you back to life.  Among those few...is my best friend, Maria.  

Maria and I have always been friends, but there has been a gap of time where we didn't do the best job of keeping in touch.  We were best friends all through high school and after that, each went down completely different paths in life.  I remember how we were in high school.  We had a blast together.  We laughed until we cried and we both complimented each other perfectly.  I think I brought the "good girl" aspect to the friendship, while Maria brought the perfect amount of adventure.  

Fast forward 15 years.....after we have established careers, gotten married, made lives for ourselves....we found ourselves living in the same town again!  Maria is the most loving, generous, caring friend I could have ever asked for.  The past few years have not been an easy time for either of us, for different reasons.  It's almost like we were brought back together to help and support each other through the obstacles in our lives.  It might sound simple, but we would meet for breakfast on the weekends and talk and talk and talk....We would, just the two of us, go to dinner and vent to each other about what we were going through.  We would laugh, cry and be there for each other.  Maria has the most generous heart and the overwhelming display of generosity that she showed me is just more than I can ever express in words.  I will always treasure those breakfasts and dinner sessions with her and can only pray that someday we find ourselves meeting up for coffee as simply as that again.  

There came a moment not long ago, that I became overwhelmed with wanting her to feel that she was worthy of having someone do for her for once.  She's always doing for other people.  And not long after....I was overjoyed to find out that she was pregnant!!  Her and her wonderful husband, Jason, welcomed their first baby, Josiah on August 22, 2014.  I don't know if I can ever explain how thrilled I was for them when he arrived.  So many hard times have occurred in their lives and to see that little bundle of joy bring such happiness to them was one of the best feelings I've ever felt.  

Maria, Jason and Josiah have recently moved to Germany, where Jason has been stationed.  I was so sad to see them go, but know that we are connected for life and there's no question in my mind that we will be in touch forever...and ever.  My sister Bri and I met Jason, Maria, Josiah and Maria's mom in Tucson for brunch and to attend the folk festival, where her cousin would be performing.  (Which you can check out in this video I made). We went to Cafe a la Carte and it was fantastic!!  We had organic chorizo served with multi grain herb tortillas, savory rosemary potatoes, fresh pico de gallo and creamy cafe lattes.  It was amazing!  

Goodbye was no fun at all, but we parted knowing that we'd be an email, facebook message, snail mail, text or phone call away at all times.  The friendship we had in high school was fun and will always fill most of my teenage memories.....but as adults, we whole-heartedly discovered, in each other, the true definition of Best Friend.  




Jason, Josiah and Maria



Bri and I :)












No comments:

Post a Comment